* Swarming Sirrah no longer spawn in Folded Space.
* Swarming Sirrah no longer spawn, like, ALL THE TIME.
* Fixed a bug in the enemy-spawning logic which confused X and Y coordinates
in some parts of its math. This fixes some instances where Swarming Sirrah
and Beehives would spawn in the middle of your view.
* The Courier Pod now correctly grants additional carrying space ONLY when
that bonus is selected.
* There is some code for enforcing max planet dimensions, but Crystal planets
were accidentally overriding those. This has been fixed.
* When it's snowing on Ice worlds, there's now a layer of snow on the ground.
* Tweaked Emergency Backup Systems, to hopefully make them a little more
* Stasis Field Generator now has Weakened, Static, and Entropic effects.
* Loading a save game is now done asynchronously. The game no longer "stops
responding" while loading a very large savegame, and you can cancel the
* Made a change which may significantly reduce the filesize of savegames,
especially in endless mode!
* Game should no longer lag in fullscreen mode on certain devices. Let me know
if you continue to experience problems, however!
* Fixed a bug which would sometimes cause Weapon Boosters to have
* Minor fix to one of the color randomizer methods, which prevented the full
range of possible colors from being expressed. This bug affected things
like forcefield & Dashing Deneb colors, although the bug is so minor that
probably no one will notice this fix :P
* When changing the mode of a Courier Pod, your new maximum cargo space is now
immediately reflected in the UI.
* Also: can no longer change mode of a Courier Pod if doing so would make you
* Fixed a bug which would cause enemies to sometimes spawn super-close to you
in split-screen co-op.
* Can now play with up to 8 players simultaneously! 4 ships, each with an
orbital! (In theory, I can actually detect up to 16 controllers now! No idea
what I'd do with so many, but it is interesting to think about...)
* If a controller is removed, loses power, etc, during gameplay, you will now
be taken to the "assign controllers" screen. This has not been implemented
for ALL game states, bcause adding it to some states is unfortunately
complicated, but I did get it added to most of the major game states. I'll
try to improve this feature in a future update.
* A wider range of controllers are now supported (previously, only XBox
360-compatible controllers were supported). For example, I plugged in an
N64-style USB controller, and that worked. I wouldn't RECOMMEND that
controller for Mysterious Space, but technically it works! :P
* When playing with multiple players in fullscreen, the game uses new logic to
try and find the best fit for all of the players' viewports, using the
largest scaling possible. If the individual viewports do not fully fill the
screen, padding will be placed between them. If the game is fullscreen, but
the viewports cannot fit, then the game becomes windowed. This logic should
help ensure that the game scales well to different screen resolutions and
orientations. (It's also worth noting that the game plays using a "fake" 2x
scale, which prevents all of the true scaling possibilies we might like. I
MAY fix this in a later update, but it would be a large undertaking...)
* In keybinding settings, directional keys can now be configured. Keybindings
saved in previous versions of the game will be lost & reset.
* The mouse is now usable in some areas of the game (such as the title menu).
It still doesn't work in several places, however, and it's impossible to
play the game using the mouse... FOR NOW! *gasp*
* When changing the mode of an equipment, a success sound is played if the
switch was successful; an error sound is played if it failed.
* When previwing a planet on the sector map, planets with civilzations on them
now show an image of a city skyline.
* There is a new type of planet: Crystal planets!
* There are a few new decorative elements which can appear on planets.
* Spiral guns are now less common, and always have faster firing speeds. (Slow
spiral guns are boring and dumb.)
* Outposts might now sometimes ask for Advanced Technology.
* Added three new outpost graphics. (DOOBLE TIMES THE GRAEFIX!)
* Updated to the latest version of MonoGame; switched to OpenGL build (from
DirectX). This allows Mysterious Space to support a wider range of gamepads,
and is a step closer to a cross-platform release (although that's not
something I'm looking heavily into at this time).
* Dropped support for 32-bit Windows
* Updated to .NET Framework 4.7
* Updated to the latest version of CrashReporter.NET
* Now using Steamworks.NET to handle Steam integration
* Music files have been switched to Ogg format, reducing the size of the game
* Increased the number of strings which CAN be translated.
* Improved French translation a little.
* Removed the, like, 3 unit tests I had, and the associated code for running
them. They were woefully out of date, and I'm not really interested in
maintaining them. (Sorry: I'm secretly a bad programmer :P)
* Effects that trigger when picking up items not dropped by other players are
no longer triggered when picking up items dropped by other players >_>
* You can no longer enter a planet RIGHT ON TOP of a miniboss. A minimum
distance is now enforced.
* Copyright date in executable metadata now includes the year 2017.
* A few Ocean worlds may now be very deep, but less wide.
* Folded Space was STILL ending up with way too many crates in Endless mode.
I've simplified the math to something which is way more straight-forward,
and which should not yield bajillions of crates :P
* New enemy: Wezen Web-Walker, and Wezen Web-Walker 2.
* Dashing Deneb now drop less loot.
* Basic Armor's blessing has changed from protecting against Weakning once, to
simply protecting against Weakening. PERIOD.
* Changed Malleable Shield's blessing: when you receive collision damage, you
no longer gain invulnerability; instead, you fire a bolt of chain lightning.
* New accessory: Stasis Field Generator.
* Weapon Booster's bonus now grows more slowly at higher levels, to prevent
the weapon speed bonus (and potential movement speed penalty) from exceeding
* Two new subroutines: Wezen Web-Walker, and Wezen Web-Walker 2.
* Tunneling Taurus 2 Subroutine now fires twice as many bullets.
* Fixed planet type strings (ex: "Forest", "Desert", etc) in non-English
* Yo, dawg! We heard you like string replacements, so we put string
replacements inside your string replacements! Now you can replace strings
while you replace strings! (Thanks, fedprod, for suggesting this!)
* When you back out of a shop menu (buy/sell), your cursor starts on the item
representing the menu you just backed out of. (I feel like there should have
been a clearer way to say that... oh well >_>)
* Firesticks will no longer be placed on forcefields! (That was weird, and
no one liked it!)
* Warding off a high score table bug before it starts!
* new: Slowing Scorpii Special Ending
* Fixed a weird crash that seems to have been related to enemy bullets
colliding with crates! No idea how long it's been in there, but it's now
* Ice Worlds were getting crazy-huge in Endless Mode. This has been fixed.
* Phase Shields and Stream Interrupts can no longer have effect durations
longer than their cooldowns.
* MAY have fixed a bug where the background music stops playing after you blow
up every on-screen enemy.
* Remade the intro tutorial. It now involves exploring a planet - just like
you do in the actual game! - and contains a guaranteed ship blueprint.
* As you approach the end of the game, Blaer now tells you more about how to
win. (If that sounds vague, it's because I'm trying to avoid spoilers :P)
* Endless Mode must now be unlocked! (Unlock it by meeting any alien
* New environmental hazard found on many worlds: Firesticks (a la Mario).
* Added a new color scheme for mining worlds.
* Mining worlds now have more pipes.
* Each Tunneling Taurus segment (of both the little ones and the big ones) is
now a slightly different color. Just to make things a little less monotonous.
* New enemy: Tunneling Taurus II.
* Slightly tweaked the difficulty levels at which some enemies begin to appear.
* Dashing Deneb now occasionally come in larger, but slower, swarms.
Fuel & Coins
* Added particle effects when collecting Fuel, Fuel Shards, and Coins.
* You'll no longer be transformed into a Scrapping Syrma, unless you have the
* New subroutine: Tunneling Taurus II
* Basic blasters now have four differet possible blessing effects. (It was
getting pretty boring seeing "quadrupled damage while weakened" all the
* Basic blasters now have a small chance of being "Weird".
* The Engine Booster curse was almost guaranteed to murder you. It's been
scaled way back. (Curses shouldn't be so bad that using the equipment is
ALWAYS the wrong choice; there should be many cases where you look at a curse
and think "well, that kind of sucks, but I can work with that.")
* The inventory is now automatically opened when you beat a level and return to
the sector map, regardless of whether or not you found any new ship parts.
* You can now skip one of the cutscenes by pressing ESC/start, but only after
you've seen it at least once.
* The highscore table now shows whether or not you discovered the mysterious
* The highscore table now shows what ship you used, but only for new high score
* When you improve the strength of all your armors, any Weakened armors will
only have their current health improved if their maximum was actually
increased. (Prevents armors from temporarily being over-max, which produced a
weird visual effect.)
* The "Menaces with Spikes" upgrade was not working! This has been fixed.
* The "prevents new enemies from spawning for 10 seconds" effect was not
preventing the whale boss from spawning enemies when he was attacked. This
effect has been rewritten to fix this, and other potential future
* The number of crates found in Folded Space in Endless mode was increasing to
ridiculous levels. This has been fixed.
* In rare occasions, the edge of a mining shaft building would behave as if it
were spiky (damaging you on contact), even though it did not appear to be
spiky. This has been fixed.
* The description for the Risky Ras Algethi ship failed to describe how its
starting weapon is different from that of other ships. This has been fixed.
(Spoiler: it deals twice as much damage, but has half the fire rate. (I don't
remember when I made this change to this ship, but it was a long time ago!))
* When you polymorph into a ship which requires more fuel than the ship you
were before, you now gain an equivalent amount of fuel. This will prevent
anyone from getting stuck in a system after polymorphing! (Thanks to clenfle
for reporting this one!)
* Fixed a bug where buying an item in a shop while equipped with a blessed
Courier Pod would cause the game to crash! (The game was trying to zap nearby
things on the level with lightning, but there is no level when you're in a
shop, so it got confused and died...) Thanks to norner for reporting this!
* A new ship has been added to the game: Scrapping Syrma
* Alien Alwaid now has an additional ability: all planets it encounters contain
an additional alien obelisk. (Whether this is a good or bad thing, I have no
* Menaces with Spikes now gives +1 collision damage, instead of +50% (there was
nothing in the game that would boost your base damage above 3, anyway), and
it now mentions that normal collision damage is 2.
* New upgrade: Scrapping II
* The Tunneling Taurus subroutine now mentions that normal collision damage is
* Aiming Altair subroutine now gives -15% movement speed, but only while firing
* Cloaking Cor Caroli subroutine now reveals all pickups on the minimap, but
prevents you from ever becoming invulnerable.
* RNG blasters now have their own graphic (though it's not a very GOOD one >_>)
* Cursed bomber weapons no longer deal 3 damage per bullet fired. This was left
over from the old (by now: VERY old) damage system. They now deal 1 damage
per round of bullets, instead.
* Angry Shields now have two modes; the new mode adds to collision damage.
* Angry Armors now have two modes; the new mode adds to collision damage.
* Courier Pods now have two modes; the new mode hastes the player when they
collect Fuel or Fuel Shards.
* Bees can no longer survive in outer space (just like real life).
* Added more entries to the credits, including the handles of people who have
reported bugs, and the names of sites that have featured Mysterious Space in
some way: Roguelike Radio, 7DRL, Indie Gala, and Groupees.
* The health of the credit entries is now related to their length.
* Changed the timing of some of the credits.
* Added instructions to the bottoms of more title screen sub-menus. For
example: did you know that you can delete a save game by pressing "Y"? It's
been true for a long time, but there was never anything that told you it was
possible... UNTIL NOW.
* When a player ship becomes invulnerable, it now gains a circular indicator
which shows how long the invulnerability will last.
* Moved more text out of the code and into XML, so it can be translated.