I predict a lot of tweaks aimed at Endless Mode in the weeks to come...
* Vampire Shields were having > 100% chances of granting bonus shields. This
has been fixed. (Other tweaks to Vampire Shields are listed below.)
* The following accessories can no longer have negative cooldown periods; they
are now capped to some minimum, usually 10 seconds: Last Resort, Deck of Many
Things, Phase Shield, Stream Interrupt, Alien Teleporter. (Other tweaks to
these accessories are listed below.)
* Similar to above: Hull Repair bots can no longer repair faster than 1 point
* Engine Booster speed boost can no longer exceed +100%.
* You can no longer see the name of an unidentified Deck of Many Things.
* The length of Folded Space no longer increases linearly as you progress. (No
more 5-minute+ Folded Space segments in Endless Mode!)
* Early instances of Folded Space contain more simultaneous background stars;
the number of background stars no longer increases linearly...
* The amount of debris found in folded space still increases linearly, and the
rate at which it increases has itself been increased! (Look forward to
shorter, more-intense sections of folded space near the end game of
normal/story mode, and throughout Endless Mode.)
* The maximum bonus shield a Vampire Shield can give has been increased from 5
* Vampire Shields can now grant bonus points for enemy kills; this has no cap,
but does not increase linearly.
* The maximum effect from stacked blessings on Last Resort has been increased.
* Late-game Last Resorts deal less damage to you, and eventually start coming
with increasingly-powerful Blessings.
* High-level Lightning Generators may now have additional strikes or chains.
* A high-level Deck of Many Things may now cause multiple good things to happen
each time it triggers (but never multiple bad things).
* Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash, like, all the time, when
visiting planets (due to a mistake I made at the last-minute in fixing a
similar bug in 0.9.5.1)...
* Fixed a bug where loading an Endless save game would probably result in a
crash when visiting a later planet. (It's weird. Don't ask.)
* New subroutine: Black Mushroom.
* Trail Guns can no longer have EMP bullets.
* The movement speed penalty and push resistance bonus of Heavy Armors
has been reduced from 20% to 15%.
* The Ophiuchustians no longer have more than one star chart for sale at a
time. Because finding a shop half-full of star charts is REAL ANNOYING.
* Ship parts sold in shops now have a greater chance of being "blessed".
* DDRKirby(ISQ) has corrected the sample rate on a couple songs.
* Fixed "metalic" text; it is now "metallic", because spelling is a thing.
* Fixed bug which caused lightning to behave weirdly/laggily on Ocean worlds.
(Performance on Ocean worlds in general may have increased.)
* Items you pick up which are cursed SHOULD have been receiving more bonuses,
while items you pick up which were blessed should have been receiving fewer.
This was improperly implemented (a long time ago!), so not working... it has
* Level difficulty was being calculated improperly after visiting the
Mysterious Source! Since there are no new enemies that appear after that
point, it mostly didn't matter, thankfully... still, I'm rather embarrassed
that such a simple math mistake survived in the game for so long... >_>
* Added ENDLESS mode!
* Fewer pre-placed boxes are found on planets. (The number dropped by enemies
* Shops have been given larger inventories.
* Lightning Generators now have weakened, static (blessed), and entropic
(cursed) effects. (This is technically kind a "fix", since these should have
been in place before, but... whatever :P)
* Removed "Kickstarter!" link from title menu.
* Players are now represented by a small "+" on the minimap, instead of a
* On the High Score screen, there's now instructions on the bottom of the
screen for navigating to other sub-screens (such as the new Endless Mode's
high score table, but also the high score graphs which have always been
present, but which many people may not have known existed!)
* A few more single-word/short-phrase translations for German (using online
* Fixed a division by zero bug which would sometimes occur when shopping with
very weak armors. Thank you, everyone who reported this through the crash
* DDRKirby(ISQ) has provided us with two excellent new songs! The first is
"Spectral Incongruity", now the theme song for Haunted worlds (which had been
using the Lava world theme as a stand-in until now).
* The second is a shopping theme: "Interstellar Patronage".
* Fixed game lag that would sometimes occur when spawning new enemies in
co-op (seemed to especially happen after leaving "folded space").
* Fixed a semi-rare crash that occurred when the game tried to spawn an
Aiming Altair while you were near the very top of the level.
* Fixed a more-rare crash related to an old method in the game responsible
for finding empty tiles. This bug has existed for who-knows-how-long. I
don't know if I was just lucky enough to never have it happen until now,
or if recent changes have resulted in that method getting called more...
either way: FIXED :P
* Overcharged Shields were shooting lightning even when not blessed.
* Fixed a crash whenever the game attempted to summon a Tunneling Taurus :|
(the segmented worm enemy)
* Fixed a crash when using the Alien Teleporter when not moving. Thanks to
Senior Computer Neurosurgeon PhD for reporting this one!
* Fixed a crash when starting the tutorial with DEBUG mode enabled.
* Sometimes the game lags when spawning new enemies, especially in co-op. This
is absolutely due to my new enemy-spawning code. I will fix it up for the
* I received a couple crash reports related to the new keybindings feature,
which seemed to have affected players who newly-purchased the game, or
deleted their setting file! This has been fixed! Sorry about that! :|
* Fixed a bug related to using the Alien Teleporter near the seam of a level
(the invisible x coordinate where the level wraps back to 0). Thanks to
something_fishy for reporting this bug!
* Added a very small number of "unit tests". (They're kind of a combination of
unit and functional. Whatever.) Will continue to add more, especially as I
run into annoying bugs :P If you're curious to run these yourself, start the
game with the --run-unit-tests command line argument. Spoiler warning: the
unit tests may contain spoilers. (They don't right now, but in the future
they definitely could.)
* Fixed a bug in the "fires a ring of 30 bullets" "something good" effect: it
would crash the game if activated outside of a level! This has been fixed.
(Thanks, Ryuk, for reporting this bug! (I'd give you an apple if I could :P))
* Fixed a ton of instances where enemies could spawn in the middle of your
screen while playing split-screen co-op.
* When I added those slowing crates, I expanded on the "liquid" system a bit.
During that, I accidentally messed up the submarine ship such that it was
EVEN SLOWER in liquids, and faster out of liquids - the opposite of what's
intended! This has been fixed.
* Sector map UI no longer has "Visit" instructions for edge systems when it
* Removed repeated "checking for button pressedness" text which was added to
the Mysterious Space log file whenever you visited a planet with a button
on it >_>
* You can now customize the keyboard's keybindings! This new option is
available on the SETTINGS screen.
* Systems at the edge of the sector now have a preview rectangle, like other
systems, and are labeled as "Deep Space".
* Cut out a ton of text from the "oh no, we need to find fuel" dialog. There's
now only a single dialog of text, instead of two.
* Angry Armor now fires twice the number of bullets while you are hasted.
* Angry Shield now fires twice the number of bullets while you are hasted.
* Added a Ghost Baleine Subroutine. (Oh! That rhymes!)
* Gave Katie Stanonik special mention in the credits for playing the voice
of Blaer (the ship's AI).
* You can now blow up the credits for funsies.
* Changed how debugging vars are stored. Again. You probably don't care about
this; logging only for completion's sake.
* In the victory cutscene, the player ships no longer overlap when playing
* Orbital players now appear in cutscenes. (I ended up entirely redoing a ton
of the cutscene logic, to make it reuse the normal game logic instead of
each being custom coded... this is how it should have been done to begin
* Cursed Regenerating Armor was not self-destructing when depleated. This has
* Guns with Binary Bullets still had the old Fragmenting Bullets text :| Fixed.
* Phase Shield's blessing effect was not working when the ship had no shields.
(Old code left over from when bonus shields required a shield to work.)
* Tiny Nova Shields no longer fire bullets that deal 0 damage.
* Fixed a bug where the game would sometimes crash when creating new Armors.
(Thanks to pilot BOB for reporting this error!)
* Nova Shields were not always firing when they should, due to bad rounding.
This has been fixed.
* Fixed two bugs which were each causing Menkalinan Manufactories and Mini
Menkalinans from always being placed on solid ground.
* The Nova Shield curse effect was not having any effect. This has been fixed.
* When the crash reporter catches a crash, it now minimizes the game window.
This should prevent players from getting stuck on a frozen game screen.
Screenshots are still not taken when running the game fullscreen for some
reason (I blame MonoGame; fortunately, the stacktrace is almost always all
the information I need).
* Made Light Lukida a couple pixels shorter.
* Your Hull is no longer repaired when entering/leaving a planet. (Unless
equipped with any kind of Hull-repairing piece of equipment, such as Hull
* Nova Shields now fire a greater number of bullets the stronger the shield,
instead of firing stronger bullets; nova Shield bullets now always deal 1
* The Blessing effect of Overchanged Shields has changed. Instead of hasting
you when you receive a bonus shield, the shield now fires occasional bolts of
lightning as long as you have a bonus shield.
* Angry Shields now fire bullets twice as fast when you are Hasted.
* Angry Armors now fire bullets twice as fast when you are Hasted.
* Added a new accessory: "Deck of Many Things"
* Alien Teleporter and Phase Shield can now be used by Orbital players. When
used by Orbitals, their host ship is affected.
* Alien Teleporter now has an alternate mode, which allows you to teleport a
short distance. (Also usable by Orbitals!)
* Last Resort now deals 4 damage to you, instead of 2, but it no longer goes
straight to your Hull; it can be absorbed by Shields and/or Armor.
* Lightning Generators can now fire varying numbers of bolts (not always 6, as
before), which now chain a varying number of times. (See general Lightning
* Changed the Long-range Scanner's blessing and curse effects.
* The Advanced Technology which dealt enough damage to your hull to reduce it
to 1 now deals 1 damage to your hull, instead.
* The Alien Artifact which cleared all bad status effects from you instead does
"something good": a random good effect from the same list as blessed RNG guns
and the Deck of Many Things.
* Changed the mechanics of lightning damage and chaining. It used to be that a
single bolt of lightning could chain many-many-many times, if there were
enough targets in a small area. While this was cool - and arguably,
realistic - it also also caused some really noticable game lag at times. SO:
bolts of lightning now always deal 1 damage to their targets, but the number
of times they can chain varies.
* Lightning looks WAY better now. Like a BAJILLION TIMES better.
* Added several new tree graphics, larger than any of the existing tree
* Changed the appearance of Aiming Altair. Several players reported confusing
it for a chip or box pickup, so it is now a triangle instead of a square :P
* Rovers now smoke until returned to base.
* Crates now block bullets (except for penetrating/goes-through-walls bullets).
* Changed the probe animations during the Mysterious Source cutscene, to make
them look more scan-y.
* Increased the speed of the stars during the credits sequence.
Something Good/Something Bad
* Added some new "something good" and "something bad" effects (used by blessed
RNG guns, the Deck of Many Things, and Alien Artifacts.)
* A procedurally-generated planet has been added to the title menu; the title
menu items are now positioned around this planet.
* Added a new "DONATIONS" page on the title menu.
* Removed stasis/entropy tutorial text. The text wasn't very meaningful, and an
explanation of these effects isn't really needed, anyway (everything you need
to know can be learned just by reading any affected equipment's description).
* Weakened/Entropic/Static effect text is now preceded by the word "Weakened",
"Entropic" or "Static". For example, instead of "Fire rate is halved due to
weakening" we now have "Weakened: Fire rate is halved". I hope this makes the
origins of these effects more-immediately clear. It also makes translation a
little easier, which is nice.
* On the sector map, you now ALWAYS see a preview for the currently-selected
planet, instead of only when you can visit that planet.
* On the sector map, the instruction text on the bottom-right now changes to
reflect the options available for whichever planet is currently selected.
* When visiting a URL (ex: from the ABOUT screen), the Mysterious Space game
window is now minimized.
* Added a missing character to the Hiragana/Katakana font file.
* Updated to a newer version of MonoGame.
* Changed how debugging vars are stored.
* Fixed a bug where rovers would drop TONS of stuff when destroyed.
* Fixed a bug where weakened regenerating armors could have an armor rating of
0. Besides being super-weird, these also crashed the game when attempting to
view them in a shop >_> (Thank you, mysterious person who reported this bug
via the crash reporter!)
* Your save game is now deleted when you win the game.
* When you only have juuuuust enough money to buy something from a store, the
"BUY" text was in red, as if you didn't have enough! This has been fixed.
* When you pick up an identified ship part that another player dropped, the
game no longer says you picked up an unidentified ship part.
* Advanced Integrator can now be sold to shops.
* Embedded Armor was often not exploding. It's been fixed.
* The "Orbital Weapon III" upgrade is now correctly removed from the list of
available upgrades after you've purchased it!
* Electrified Crates were dealing WAY too much damage >_> Another holdover from
the previous health/damage system. It has been fixed.
* In some circumstances, Carpeting Celbalrai would get frozen in place. Bad
logic prevented them from moving. This has been fixed.
* After saving, quitting, and reloading, your kills, time spent in level, etc,
are no longer double-counted when beating the next level.
* I'm not 100% sure, but it's possible Bee Hives weren't dropping Scan Data? If
so, it should be fixed now.
* Fixed a typo in pericarditis' ABOUT entry.
* Added a new type of planet: haunted planets, decorated with leafless trees
* Added the occasional leafless tree to forest planets.
* It is now raining on some forest planets.
* Mini-bosses should now appear less randomly; there should be no more games
where you NEVER encounter one, but also no more games where you encounter
them ALL THE TIME. The average rate of their appearance, however, remains
unchanged (about one in every three levels).
* Menkalinan Manufactory now alternates between firing a huge volume of
missiles, and doing nothing.
* Grosse Baleine has never summoned its swarm of Petits Poissons unless a
player was close by. What counts as "close by" has been increased, to ensure
that it protects from players firing at a great distance.
* Grosse Baleine now has a death sound, and a cry which it emits when it takes
* When Grosse Baleine dies, two enemies are now immediately spawned.
* A new enemy has been added, the "Mini Menkalinan".
* The crates generated on planet surfaces used to be restricted to normal
crates only. This restriction has been lifted.
* Added a new type of crate: Slowing Crate, which has a large, slowing effect
* Weapons now have a higher chance of being low damage/high fire rate than they
do of being high damage/low fire rate. (High fire rates are more fun. That's
a science fact :P)
* Increased the base invulnerability time of Advanced Integrators.
* The Menkalinan Manufactory subroutine now grants a second weapon slot instead
of an extra Upgrade Part.
* Battery bullet colors and shapes have been changed to hopefully make the
difference between the EMP bullets and regular bullets more obvious.
* All Alien Artifacts now have the same buy/sell price, regardless of effect.
* All Advanced Technologies now have the same buy/sell price, regardless of
* The placement of alien civilizations has been completely revamped. You will
no longer encounter multiple alien worlds in a row.
* Each civilization's inventory turnover rate has been increased.
* Previously, each color of coin represented an entire range of values, for
example one white coin could have been worth anywhere from 100-199 points.
This has been changed: a coin's color denotes a specific value of points.
* Items in shop and in the inventory menu are now sorted!
* When you collect an unidentified ship part, the game now specifies the type
of ship part (ex: "Unidentified Weapon")
* The coin point total on the end-of-level summary screen has been reworked.
* When you can equip multiple armors, each is labeled ("1" or "2", instead of
"E") to clearly indicate which is first (and therefore taking damage first!)
* Added a new "SPAWN" command to the debugging console while in levels. It
currently allows you to spawn various types of crates and enemies.
* Added some English text which I had forgotten to add before.
* Grouped up all tree sprites into a single spritesheet. (Tiny optimization.)
* Some refactoring of core code in the main game class.
* Fixed a bug which would rarely cause a weapon to have a negative firing rate!
(Thanks, el tj, for reporting this!)
* Fixed various instances where text was positioned poorly when the text
contained characters that are not exactly 12 pixels wide (currently, that's
only Japanese text).
* Added a page for pericarditis in the ABOUT menu.
* Removed some text from the translation files which is no longer being used in
* Red mushrooms were still dealing 20 damage! Sorry about that :| Reduced to 1
to be in line with the new damage system.
* Hull Repair Bots were also still balanced for the old system. Rebalanced for
the new. (How did I miss this one before? It's so obvious...)
* Swarming Sirrah (the little swarming gnat things) no longer put blindness
spots on the display when you have immunity to bad status effects.
* Last Resort's blessing text was lying about the regen time >_> FIXED.
* Removed Shield Rerouters. (If you have a save game with a Shield Rerouter,
you'll keep it (to preserve save compatibility), but no new Shield Rerouters
will be generated by the game.) They don't work with the new damage system,
an obvious solution was not presenting itself, and they were always a little
awkward to use, anyway.
* Vampire Shields now have a % chance of adding their temporary shield. Higher-
level Vampire Shields may have a higher chance of adding a shield, a greater
max shield, or some combination of both.
* The orbital's weapon fires is bursts: 1 second of fire, followed by 1 second
of cooldown time.
* The third Orbital upgrade has been changed. Rather than granting another set
of bullets, it enhances the existing bullets, making the middle bullets
penetrating (they go through walls), and the outer bullets electric.
* Aiming Altair - which uses the same weapon as the Orbital - now also fires in
1 second bursts followed by 1 second of cooldown.
* Last Resort's blessing effect was crazy-OP. This has been fixed. (It had not
been adjusted for the new damage/health system, and was giving crazy-fast
* Fixed Alien Alwaid's Alien Artifact descriptions. (They were incorrectly
stating that they repair 20% armor and hull, however they repair 1 armor and
* The damage system in Mysterious Space has received a large overhaul. Health
and damage numbers have all been dramatically reduced. (For example, instead
of your starting weapon dealing 50 damage per hit, it now deals 1.) This
change was made to make it easier for players to predict the outcomes of
certain interactions. For example, I'd like players to be able to quickly and
easily answer questions like "will I take more damage by plowing through this
enemy in my way, or by plowing through this trail of stationary bullets?" or
"will I survive colliding with that glowing mushroom in order to get its fuel
shard, or do I need to take the time to shoot it, even though other enemies
are fast approaching?" etc. The various damage, healing, shield, and armor
value changes that occurred as a result of this change are NOT detailed
below, as that would quickly fill the changelog with repeated "X value is now
* Fixed a crash that could occur when using the debugging console.
* Fixed a crash that occurred in very rare cases on any planet with fauna. (How
did this never come up before??)
* Fixed ANOTHER rare crash, which occurred when a Lava world attempted to
spawn Tunneling Taurus miniboss near the seam of the level. (Okay, I get why
THIS one hadn't come up before... P.S. ugh, god, that seam of the level. So
many problems. I worry this is evidence that I've done things poorly...)
* Fixed a bug which caused Ophiuchus to ONLY sell Star Charts.
* Fixed a bug which prevented you from typing W, A, S, or D in the debugging
* Fixed a bug which would sometimes cause weapons to have bullets with negative
* When buying and selling items, your inventory count is now immediately
* Another attempt at fixing some shutdown issues that some players have been
* Outposts can no longer place rewards inside of walls!
* Forward-slash is now properly recognized for activating the tractor beam.
* EMP Channeler no longer becomes Weakened all the time randomly >_> (Its
cursed effect is "when you are slowed, has a 25% chance of becoming weakend",
and this effect was ALWAYS talking place, even when the item WASN'T cursed.)
* Damage to your hull is no longer halved.
* The hull improvement upgrade now costs 2 Upgrade Parts instead of 1, and
provides +2 storage space instead of +1. (This change was made because even
the smallest improvement to Hull strength - +1 - is now very good.)
* Your hull is now fully repaired when leaving/entering a planet.
* When you revive, you are now revived with 1 hull.
* The Advanced Technology that used to increase your maximum hull strength by 5
now increases the strength of ALL your armors (even those unequipped) by 1.
* The Advanced Technology that steals an upgrade part now weakens a random
equipment when you have no upgrade parts, instead of reducing your maximum
hull strength by 5 when you have no upgrade parts.
* Shield Rerouter now has two modes: one that lets you fire its weapon by
holding the accessory button (as before), and another that lets you fire by
toggling it on or off with the accessory button.
* Points awarded from using Alien Integrator are no longer fixed at 100 across
all Alien Integrators; they now give between 50 and 150 depending on the
level of the individual Alien Integrator.
* Last Resort now costs 2 Hull to use at all levels. (Only the cooldown timer
* The EMP Channeler no longer grants lightning resistance.
* Every special weapon effect now modifies the name (ex: "transforms when a
boss is killed" now prefixes the weapon name with "Slaying", etc).
* Removed Fragmenting bullets from the game. (They don't play well with the new
* Weapons may now have Lightning bullets! (They're like Fragmenting bullets,
but play better with the new damage system :P)
* Trail guns may now have Binary bullets, a new type of bullet that's exclusive
to Trail guns.
* The EMP-resistant Shield no longer grants lightning resistance.
* The Regenerating Rigel subroutine now restores 1 point of Hull damage each
time you collect a Fuel.
* Scrapping now exclusively grants a bonus shield; it no longer repairs Hull
* Reduced the speed of the homing missiles fired by Menkalinan Manufactory.
* Slight tweak to the targetting AI of the Aiming Altair and Trailing Talitha.
(Made for the sake of improving performance; happens to have some slight
side-effects to their behavior.)
* Trailing Talitha no longer gains Fragmenting bullets in later levels, and
instead gains Binary bullets.
* Slightly reduced Four-way Fomalhaut 2's movement speed.
* Menkalinan Manufactory no longer regenerates health over time.
* Dashing Deneb's health has been effectively increased. (Their health has been
reduced dramatically due to the general change in health and damage numbers,
but I increased their health above what you might expect their new health to
be. Previously, they almost always took only 1 hit to kill; now, they will
probably require 2 hits.)
* There's now less pre-placed loot on higher-difficulty planets. (Obelisks are
more common since 0.9.0, which has lead to more loot in games. The addition
of stores has also given players opportunities to turn bad loot into good
loot. THIS change is attempting to compensate for at least some of that.)
* Allowed many colors used by planets to have minor, random variations from
planet to planet.
* Coin graphics now have a black outline, matching the style of the rest of the
graphics, and making them much easier to see.
* 4-player split-screen co-op is now available. In theory this SHOULD allow up
to 8 players to play simultaneously, but MonoGame refuses to recognize more
than 4 controllers, so you can only do 5-player co-op! (4 controllers plus a
keyboard.) I find this 4-controller limitation EXCEEDINGLY ANNOYING, and
will absolutely be looking for a way around it in future releases.
* Character creation now responds to the addition and removal of gamepads.
* When throwing items away, there is now a confirmation modal. In split-screen
co-op, this modal also gives you the opportunity to give the item to an ally,
instead of trashing it.
* Standardized the color of bullets according to whether they are friendly
bullets, or enemy bullets.
- green: friendly bullet
- cyan: friendly EMP bullet
- blue: enemy EMP bullet
- purple: enemy bouncy bullet
- red: enemy other bullet
* Added MOAR LOGGING to MysteriousSpace.log.
* Some refactoring surrounding how bullet types are stored. (You don't care
about this :P It just makes my life, as a programmer, a little easier.)
* I usually forget to mention when I've updated to a newer version of MonoGame.
I've updated to a newer version of MonoGame.
* Fixed a bug with the Slowing Scorpii's achievements.
* Fixed a typo ("Weakend" should have been "Weakened"; thanks Senior Computer
Neurosurgeon PhD for pointing out this, and other bugs!)
* Homing missiles properly track their target on levels that DON'T wrap. (This
fixes the tutorial's derelict probe, whose homing missiles would fire away
from you, since they believed the level wrapped at the edges of the screen).
* The derelict probe's first shot no longer emenates from the middle of the
* Mysterious Space now fully releases FMOD resources when quitting. (COULD fix
some issues with the game shutting down??)
* The Long-range Scanner is now working when equipped to an Orbital player.
* You're no longer stuck facing backwards in Folded Space after discovering the
* After leaving a planet, some parts of the code still identified the player as
being on that planet, which could have some weird side effects, like showing
the edge-of-screen location indicators in split-screen co-op. This has been
* When gaining a Hull upgrade, or equipping/unequipping a Courier Pod, the
change to your maximum carrying capacity is now reflected immediately!
* The positions of forcefield buttons no longer change between visits to a
* Fixed a crash when firing a cursed 3 or 2-bullet split-shot gun >_>
* It was possible, but unlikely, that an Ice planet would be generated with an
inaccessible tunnel, and if such a tunnel had Fuel, the game could be
unwinnable! This has been fixed. AGAIN. (See 0.8.6 changelog >_>)
* Fixed a bug where multiple bullets hitting an enemy simultaneously could
cause it to count as multiple kills. (This was particularly noticeable when
using the Stream Interrupt accessory.)
* Sound and music volume settings were not being respected when the game
started up. This has been fixed.
* The hitboxes for Fuel Shards were weird. Fixed them. They should be a little
easier to pick up, now.
* Fixed a bug with Nova Shields that caused half of them to have a blessing
effect even when not blessed.
* Fixed a typo in pericarditis's name in the ABOUT screen.
* The down arrow on the HIGH SCORE table is no longer shown when you get to the
bottom of the table.
* The Erratic Eridanus enemy is now worth points!
* Fixed a couple issues surrounding the generation of those fuel rooms with
forcefields and tunnels. First: I reduced the chances of the tunnels getting
super-long, by allowing them to stop if a hole is cut on the top or bottom of
the tunnel. Second, and more-importantly, I think I've really, truly,
once-and-for-all solved the issue of buttons being placed without enough
space above them.
* Instead of requiring 6 fuel in a two-player game, only 4 is required (-1 for
each Risky Ras Algethi player).
* In a split-screen co-op game, there is now significantly more loot pre-placed
on each planet! (It had previously been generating the exact same amount of
loot as single-player games! Oof!)
* The Sector map has been rehauled! It is now procedurally generated, and much
larger. (The entire map does not fit in the screen.)
* Planet icons got a little smaller (to allow players to see more of the map on
* There is no longer the concept of "hidden" planets.
* The Sector is now populated by three alien races, who control various
* You can now find points scattered around levels in the form of spinning
coins. (Enemies are worth less now, though; see "Enemies" below.) Points for
coins are tallied at the end of the level.
* Ice worlds are now slightly smaller than other worlds.
* Increased the minimum amount of loot pre-placed on a planet, but also
decreased the maximum. (The average remains the same, there's just now less
variance from planet to planet.)
* There is now always more Fuel on a planet than you need. (With the new Sector
map, this allows you to save up Fuel in order to skip planets.)
* Planets no longer have varying difficulty level point multiplier... things.
Don't worry about it. It was a weird concept, and it's good that it's gone.
* If you have no Weapons, Shields, or Armors - or have very old ones - planets
will now be SURE to provide new ones among the pre-placed item crates. (How
nice of them.)
* Spikey block collision damage is now fixed at 25 damage. (It used to range
from 20 to 38, depending on how far into the game you were.)
* Ocean worlds are now more colorful :P
* The Advanced Technology that increases your hull strength by 5 now also heals
your hull by the same amount.
* The effect that used to completely repair your hull now repairs half your
hull, instead. (See related change to Player Ships, below.)
* The effect that doubles shield regen rate for 5 seconds now doubles it for 10
* The effect that clears all bad status effects (slow, blindness, shield
disable, and blindness) now also makes you immune to those effects for 5
* Your hull now resists 50% of all damage it receives.
* Totally changed the Heavy Head of Hydrus again >_> (I just can't seem to find
a good balance for this guy...)
* Alien Alwaid now has only -10% speed, instead of -15%.
* Light Lukida now has +20% speed, instead of +30%.
* Added a new ship: Slowing Scorpii.
* Spiral blasters now have a unique graphic. (To visually differentiate them
from other blasters.)
* Reduced recharge rate of all shields.
* Integrated Shields no longer have a lower recharge rate than other shields.
* Collision & bullet resistances are allowed to go higher than before, and are
now more likely than other "generic" bonuses.
* Weapon recharge rate is now less likely than other "generic" bonuses found on
* The Crystal Mushroom subroutine has been changed. It now gives you an extra 3
Fuel at the start of the game.
* Batteries now explode after 1.5 seconds, instead of after 3.
* Roughly halved the number of points received for killing enemies. (You find
points lying around levels now, though; see "Planets" above.)
* Reduced the number of enemies that appear in "swarms" in early levels, while
keeping it the same at later levels.
* Beehives are no longer spawned as part of normal swarms; they're now spanwed
on their own timer.
* Reduced the collision damage of many enemies.
* Menkalinan Manufactory is now slowed for 2 seconds after being smart-bombed.
* Enemies no longer drop their PROFILE if it already exists in your COLLECTION.
* Lightning no longer strikes bullets.
* The first time you collect the fuel needed to leave a planet, Blær explains
that you're ready to go, but also the pros and cons of sticking around
* Removed some old dialog that's no longer relevant, due to the new Sector map.
* Added a boot sequence effect.
* Added a mothership.
* Removed the "some target practice would be nice" dialog option.
* Reduced the damage dealt by the derelict probe's laser.
* After completing the tutorial, all damage is now repaired.
* Minimap indicators now continue to blink while menus or dialog are open.
* Both players can now use the equipment/inventory/etc menus at THE SAME TIME.
WHOA. This truly is the future.
* When visiting the High Score table immediately after a Game Over, your newly-
added scores (if any) are now highlighted.
* After winning, the end-of-game summary screen now has different menu options
to better reflect your victory. (No more "TRY AGAIN" after winning!)
* Now compiling with Visual Studio 2015. Presumably this will have EFFECTS, but
I have no idea what those effects might specifically be >_> (Mysterious.)
* Changed how Alien Artifact effects are stored, to match how Advanced
Technologies effects are stored. This should have no game-play effect,
however it makes it so that it's easier to use DEBUG MODE to create Alien
Artifacts with the effect you want. (Alien Artifact ID 1 will now always be
the same effect from game to game, though it's color may be different;
previously, Alien Artifact ID 1 would have had the same color from game to
game, though it's effect may have been different *hopes that made sense*)
* Made a small optimization to the code responsible for handling the movement
of all movable objects (pickups, bullets, enemies, players, crates...)